Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The First Time I Attended a Nayon Meeting

I first attended the meeting of Nayon Photographers’ Club last September 9, 2012. I was invited by Caloy and Mel to observe how they conduct their meeting. It was a very nice experience.

A week before that, I posted an article on Digital Photographer Philippines about my bad experience with the Facebook group Bawal Mag-Shoot Dito (BMSD). It was my rant against this group who claims to champion the rights of photographers. I later found out that the founders have their own agenda and I told all about it on the famous forum. Caloy read my post and he invited me to attend the Nayon meeting.

IMG_7551

The Ortigas Building where the monthly meeting of Nayon Photographers’ Club is held.

The venue of the meeting was at the 2nd floor of the Ortigas Building, which is the seminar room of the Ortigas Foundation Library. The place is nice, comfortable and projects the image of learning. It reminds me of the meetings of the Knights of Columbus – organized, with an agenda.

The meeting started with a prayer, followed by a short opening remark by the president of the club. I was with 2 other new members (who never showed up in the next meetings). We were asked to introduce ourselves, what are photography background are, how we learned about the club and what we’re expecting to get from being a privileged member.

The meeting was very formal (first impression) so I introduced myself in English. I told them that I’m a call center agent and I was invited by Caloy. I told them that I’m a certified newbie when it comes to photography and that I want to join the club so that someone (with more experience) would criticize my works for improvement. Looking back, I probably sounded nerdy for speaking in English (or probably “maangas”). I’m not use to public speaking and I got my baptism of fire.

So I met most of the club members and got along with Caloy, Mel, Mon, Marc and the rest of the members. I remember that Willy presented his photographs to the members but the projector is having technical issues so I haven’t seen much of his photos. I also learned that there is a meryenda half-way through the meeting (which is great).

I was surprised at the photo contest after the meryenda. I was amazed at how good the Nayon Photographers are. It was also my first time to judge a photo contest. It seems that it’s a tradition that the first timers (and guests) are usually the judges. I remember that the theme was related to seascape or bodies of water. I gave high points to a picture of a boat with a great view of the sea.

It was a nice experience to attend a Nayon meeting. It’s full of camaraderie, small talks, learning, and exchanges of ideas about our passion (photography). That’s probably the reason why I became an active member and never missed a monthly meeting since that first encounter.

I want to thank Caloy for inviting me to join a great photography club.

IMG_7552

I was surprised to know that Israel, whom I first met at Pasig Shutter Bugs, is also a member of Nayon Photographers’ Club.

IMG_7554

The first Nayon meeting I’ve attended was last September 9, 2012. Deiy was presiding over the meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment